Do you want to be better?
In a few days, the local gym where I work out will be packed. There will be a whole new set of people sincerely trying to follow through on their New Year’s resolution. They want to get into to better shape. They want to feel better, look better…they want to be better. It is a worthwhile endeavor. It really is.
But there is another set of people that also want to be better. But they are not as interested in their physical health as they are their spiritual health. They know that their soul is in rough shape. They know their thoughts are not like their Master’s thoughts. They know their character is quite a bit out of sync with the character of the One they have pledged to follow. They know their lives don’t look the way they should look. They want to be better.
Maybe you are one of those people. Maybe you want to be better, but you aren’t quite sure where to start. I can tell you where to start. You need to spend some time with the Lord and in His Word every day. Every day. If you aren’t sure how to do that, here are some suggestions to get you started.
- NLT One-Year Chronological Bible: The One Year Chronological Bible is ideal for anyone who wants to take a fresh look at the Bible by reading it in the order the events actually happened. You can read the entire Bible in as little as 15 minutes a day with this One Year Bible.
- My Utmost for His Highest: This classic work has inspired many thousands of people for a long time. There is a devotional and several Bible verses for each day. This link is to a website, but you can also buy it on hard copy or Kindle.
- New Morning Mercies: A Daily Gospel Devotional: A daily devotional and associated Scripture passage, all focused on the Gospel.
- Bible Reading plans emailed to you each day: A really convenient way to have a set of passages emailed to you each morning. There are many plans to choose from.
- Bible Reading Plans: If you prefer the printed variety, here are several great reading plans to get you started.
- Praying the Names of God: This little resources compiled by Grace Point Community Church provides an easy way to pray through some of the many names God is known by in Scripture.
Of course, I can’t help but suggest you read (or re-read) Run in Such a Way. It was written to help explain in more detail how to be better by becoming more and more like Christ.
May the grace and peace of the Jesus Christ Himself be with you as you set out to run in such a way as to get the prize!